Do-it Yourself Staging in 7 steps
Home staging is basically the process of using design principles & tricks that emphasize space to help get your property sold for the most money in the shortest amount of time. You don’t have to have a fancy house or spend hundreds having a professional designer do it… Just follow these 7 steps & Call Us for Free!
- Exterior paint peeling, leaks, torn carpet, broken tiles…Repair them. Buyers have a way of imagining a much higher cost of repair than if you fixed it now.
- Don’t do major remodels/additions …they don’t pay off
- Ask us to point out the little tricks of the trade & what an inspector is looking for
2. Neutralize & De-Personalize it!
- Making your house appear as attractive as possible is largely about allowing potential buyers the opportunity to imagine their lives in your property.
- De-personalize: Pack up any personal items: family photos or mementos.
- Any décor that does stay up, should be as neutral as possible.
- Painting - Think neutral-toned paint! Paint over any bright or bold paint in the house (ask us if you are unsure)
3. De-clutter it!
- Start Packing & Stacking in Garage. Toys too- at least 70% (it will be like Christmas part 2 for the kids later)
- Rule of 3: 3 items on a surface. Any distracting decorations remove or pack
- Minimize the amount of stuff…may feel sparse, but allows people to imagine their décor & feels bigger
- Minimize the amount of furniture you have in each room. needs to in good shape & be visually appealing
4. Open it !
- Creating the appearance of openness & space is key
- Position furniture in a way that opens a space up. The room feels bigger & more inviting.
- Think light & BRIGHT . Replace all burnt out light bulbs,
- Open blinds & curtains before showings
- Hanging mirrors in the house, can be positioned to emphasize & reflect key areas & light
5. Clean it!
- Deep Clean! Clean: Windows, outsides of cabinets, walls, trim, doors, appliances, counters etc.
- CARPETS. Professionally clean them if they need it.
- Outside: Clean garden beds, & Trim bushes, mow lawns, weed …siding wash spots or pressure wash as needed.
6. Secure it!
- Put away Medicines, Mail, personal documents (including listing documents), jewelry etc.
- Put away stuff that accumulates on a regular basis like the mail or your dirty clothes
7. Walk it!
- Start at the curb. Pretend you are a buyer. Critique the house as if you were going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on it. What wouldn’t you like?
Ask Patty & Tara to come review your Southern Oregon home from a buyer’s, inspector’s and appraiser’s perspective at no cost! We will give you all the free tips you want.
Patty Davis & Tara Jacobi
(Southern Oregon Realtors)
Licensed Brokers in the state of Oregon
Keller Williams Realty - Southern Oregon